Going to Hawaii for work is seemingly a great concept, but when you really look at it, going to paradise all alone isn't exactly ideal. Everywhere you look in Hawaii a happy couple is celebrating something romantic. It's usually an engagement or a honeymoon or some other activity that of course revolves around love. So, since I was in Hawaii all alone, without anyone to love, I did something that was the opposite of romantic vacation....I bellied up to the bar at the famous Duke's in Waikiki and prayed that someone, anyone would talk to me. For the first bit I had apparently chosen the freak seat. Nobody wanted to sit next to me and if they did, they were so so so strange that even in my state of lonely, I didn't want to talk to them. Then much to my surprise and after probably a few too many Mai Tais, a very nice guy sat down and thoroughly entertained me. Not only did I have a friend for a few days, I met all of the best bartenders at Duke's and didn't feel as pitiful as I had when I arrived. It wasn't exactly my dream Hawaii getaway, (I guess I am not so secretly into all that romantic, love stuff) but for a work trip, it ended up being pretty great.
HIs:
- Upgrading to first class for my inbound flight
- Drinking Bloody Mary's in said first class
- Watching Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants II on the flight down
- Getting introduced to the Hawaiin Tea. Kinda like a Long Island but better. It equals bliss with a side of hangover.
- Driving up the North Shore
- Finding the perfect hoodie
- The bartenders at Duke's (Shawn, Adam and Stu)
- Free drinks (thanks Tony and Duke's bartenders)
- Macky's Shrimp Truck
- 5 days in Hawaii paid for by Ben & Jerry's
LOs:
- Crying while watching Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants II on the flight
- Clouds, some rain and 83 degree weather=massive humidity
- Not putting my bathing suit on once (good thing I brought 3)
- Pearl Harbor
- Going to the North Shore known for its surfing on the only day of December when "the surf" was bad
- The dinner cruise that didn't happen
- The huge lady sitting behind me on my flight back home that wouldn't allow me to recline my seat because she couldn't fit.
No comments:
Post a Comment